Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Exclusive: Honey Trehan on Satlujs Takedown Why CBFC Shouldnt Decide What People Watch and More

When I first spoke to Honey Trehan on the Friday evening that Punjab 95 quietly premiered on ZEE5 as Satluj, he made an unsettling prediction. Based on past experience, he felt the film wouldn’t stay on the platform for long. Two days later, it was taken down. Its removal marked another chapter in a journey that had already spanned over three years. The film is based on human rights activist Jaswant Singh Khalra (played by Diljit Dosanjh), who exposed thousands of alleged illegal cremations by the Punjab Police during the militancy years. Khalra’s work led to his abduction and murder in 1995. Trehan’s labour of love couldn’t get a theatrical release and is no longer legally available on OTT as well. He speaks out his angst in his own words…

Jaswant Singh Khalra matters

I grew up in Tarn Taran, Punjab, where stories from the militancy years were part of everyday life. During the COVID lockdown, while I was in quarantine, I began reading about those years. Jaswant Singh Khalra’s story kept coming back to me. The more I read, the more convinced I became that this had to be my
next film. Diljit (Dosanjh) told me he could never ask for money to play Jaswant Singh Khalra because he considered him a great martyr who devoted his life to others. I explained that contracts are not legally valid unless an amount is mentioned. He simply replied, “You and the producers decide whatever you think is right. I’ll accept it. But I cannot ask for money to play this role.”

Changed title

Satluj was another title I already had. It is a river that binds Punjab together, but it also carries a painful history. Many people who were abducted or killed in extrajudicial killings were thrown into the Satluj. Even Jaswant Singh Khalra was cremated there. I felt the title carried a certain poetic justice for the film. That said, I always wanted the film to be released without any cuts or changes, and ZEE5 stood by that decision. When people remind me that I had predicted the film would be pulled again, I tell them it was only a hunch. We never knew for sure. But after so many attempts to stop the film over the years, we had a feeling that the establishment might intervene once again.

Fear-mongering

I was told that the film could allegedly create a law and order situation in Punjab. What actually happened was the complete opposite. Thousands of people sat together to watch it. Screenings have happened not just in Punjab but also in Jammu, Haryana, Pune and Mumbai. The film is even being screened at gurdwaras, followed by langar. Perhaps the fear is of Punjab coming together. While this film is bringing people together, there are politicians making speeches asking, ‘Punjab ke Hindu, kab jagoge tum?’ Somewhere, people are trying to weaken faith in unity and harmony. You cannot insult the intelligence of our people by saying this film threatens national security. You also cannot insult our Army, Navy or Air Force. India is a strong nation. We have faced far bigger challenges and emerged stronger. It is pitiful to suggest that one small film can break the harmony of this country.
Censorship battle

The film remained stuck for nearly three years because of repeated objections over its subject, characters and references to documented historical events. The film talks about things done by the establishment, regardless of which government was in power. It tells the story of an ordinary man standing up against the system, the establishment and the State. Naturally, that is not something those in power would welcome. Some may have felt that the film points fingers at the police, and that it could weaken public faith in the force. But that is not what my film says. Whenever extraordinary power is handed to people, some individuals misuse it. That is what the film examines, not the entire police force. The entire film is based on legal testimonies and official records. If someone still chooses to ignore those facts, I cannot help that.
TrehanHoney Trehan
Democratic debate

My larger question is why films should be banned or censored at all. We call ourselves a democracy. Then who has given the CBFC the authority to become God? Their job is to certify films, not decide what people should or should not watch. Let audiences make that choice. Why should the government tell us what to watch, what to write or what stories to tell? That will never make the country healthier. Even if some people call Satluj a propaganda film, I am willing to accept that argument. But then other films labelled as propaganda have also been released. Why should only The Kashmir Files and The Kerala Story reach audiences? Is it because Muslims are portrayed as the villains in those films?

What lies ahead

I hope the government makes the film’s release legal. I feel the issue has become a matter of ego. As for me, my focus has shifted back to writing. I’m currently working on a biopic on Shiv Kumar Batalvi and also exploring one or two other subjects. Everything is still in the writing stage.


from filmfares https://ift.tt/kHDJC8I

Post a Comment

0 Comments